Saturday, April 26, 2014

These feet were made for walkin...

I'm writing from the land that got NO SNOW this winter. No rain (which we greatly need in CA).  No weather to speak of in California.  While the rest of the country got hammered with winter weather, we just had beautiful weather.  Blue skies, warm temps...things that make the rest of the nation jealous.

I'm just doing a 'Debbie Update' this blog.  As usual, my body is trying to let me down, but i'm tougher than that.  

I woke up one morning, climbed out of bed and OUCH! my feet hurt so bad i couldn't put any pressure on them at all. The heels, soles, ankles, sides of my feet were affected.  After putting up with it for 5 days, i decided to go to the doctor. (those that know me, know i don't complain about my pain)The doctor said that i had Plantar Faciitis.  Below is the description


Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) is one of the most common causes of heel pain. It involves pain and inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes.
Plantar fasciitis commonly causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.
Plantar fasciitis is particularly common in runners. In addition, people who are overweight and those who wear shoes with inadequate support are at risk of plantar fasciitis.

i don't run, but i do walk, and have been losing weight (41 pounds as of this writing).  So, the doc gave me instructions, on how to work on healing it.  it took 16 days, but there's light at the end of the tunnel!
i have joined a gym, and was scheduled to meet with the new trainer the day i began having the pain.  I had to reschedule. this does not please me at all.
And as soon as i got home from the doctor visit, i noticed that my ankles and feet were swollen to twice their normal size!  I contacted my doctor and she called in labs for me. In addition to the regular stuff, she tested to make sure my heart is doing its job.  
outside of my sugar being a bit high, EVERYTHING was normal. so, in order to reduce the swelling, she ordered Lasix, a water pill.  So hopefully this will help get rid of the fatness of my ankles.
i will be going back to the gym, swollen ankles and all.  I noticed that since i haven't been able to do much of anything, i only gained 3 lbs.  not too bad for a woman who couldn't do much but sit around.

here they are.  To put it in perspective, i have awesome, thin beautiful ankles.  Underneath all that, is where my ankles are.  
also, i have a lump, which is probably scar tissue from my breast cancer surgeries.  but, its a lump nonetheless.  Appt is May 9th for a mammogram.  Its 12 yrs and a day after my 2002 diagnosis of Breast Cancer. 

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Oh Deb, your feet look terrible!!! I hope they have gone down!!! Love ya girl!!