Monday, March 3, 2014

Plus Sized Women Are People Too!!!

To say that i HATE the way that companies treat women that are Plus sized, would be a grand understatement.

Let me start by saying I haven't always been plus sized.  There was a time when i weighed well over 300 lbs.  I'm a 'tall drink of water' at 5'9.  There was also a time when i weighed 109.  Not a good thing either way. 

Right now, I'm still 5'9" (not shrinking yet!) and i weigh 186.  When i saw a picture of myself (one that my well meaning daughter took) i realized it was time to do something about it.  That weight wasn't going to lose itself.

So, i joined a gym in May 2013.  I began there at 224 and wore a sized 24 pants.  I worked out (pretty much the treadmill, since i have a bad back) 3-4 days a week. I started eating better, and the results are good!

HOWEVER... with the weight loss, comes the need for new clothes. I wear a 16 pants right now, and i'm still in the plus department.  So, off I went to shop for clothes.  To places that I could afford, such as Walmart, Target (i can't find the 2 pics i took), Penney's and the new to the Plus Sized world, Forever 21.  NONE of the places that i looked at acted as though they gave a damn about the money that Plus Sized women spend in their stores.  

The departments for the most part, were 4 or 5 racks (except for Penney's, who had a few more).  The Plus Sized dept in EVERY store that I went to were always in disarray, clothes on the floor, or just shoved anywhere a rack happened to be.  And the type of clothes they offered?  What a joke.  Just because we don't wear size 4, doesn't mean you can shove us in to polyester flower pants, or giant flowers stitched onto the front of an ugly blouse. 

Sometimes, the Plus Sized women are the ones that bring their kids into buy clothes in other departments.  Its the norm to see endless racks of clothes for teens and kids, but the Plus Sized Departments are almost always just 4 or 5 racks, shoved in the back corner of the store. Sad.

Here's some pictures that i have taken over a month or so of the treatment that Plus Sized Women get in stores. There are going to be many more photo's.  Someone, somewhere has to convince the big stores out there that Plus Sized women are people too, and should not be treated like we are lepers.


Forever 21
Parkway Plaza, El Cajon, CA

Forever 21
Parkway Plaza, El Cajon, CA 

Walmart
Los Coches Rd, El Cajon, CA

Penney's
Parkway Plaza, El Cajon, CA

Walmart
Los Coches Rd, El Cajon, CA

Walmart 
Los Coches Rd, El Cajon, CA
The shopping carts are parked there near the dressing rooms. They do NOT belong to customers.

I will say that the Los Coches Walmart has moved their Plus Sized Dept to a different area in the store. Its smaller, but the clothes are the same.  The area is the same.  A mess. and they've upgraded to 7 racks on the floor, some racks of horrid stretchy polyester blouses hanging on the wall. And of course, my personal favorite, T-SHIRTS with ugly flowers on them on a table.  Many of them NOT FOLDED.  

I'm going to close this blog with this... I hope one or more of these companies get wind of my blog and do something about the issues i've pointed out here. I'll be visiting the stores that carry Plus Sized clothes that are out of my budget. Should be interesting!

No comments: