Saturday, July 10, 2010

Its not just a job, its MONEY

Do you ever make a wish at 11:11? I never used to, but when things in my life started going south, i thought why not? I've done it twice, and its worked! The first, was when my beloved cat, Monkey, was so sick. I made a wish at 11:11 that she'd soon be out of her misery, since i could NOT bear to see her suffer anymore. She passed away that same afternoon. Yes, it was horrible, and awful, but it was for the best.

The other time I made a wish at 11:11 was when Jenny had applied for a job at our towns local coffee shop. I wished that they'd call her. at 2:30pm that afternoon, guess what? The manager called her, and said they'd like her to come in and fill out paperwork, that she was hired! How completely cool is that?

So, she went in Thursday, and spent 6 hours, on the job, getting paid, to be a dishwasher. We're all so excited, and i'm so proud of her. While I was waiting in the parking lot to pick her up, the cook came outside to talk to me. (I live in a town of 1500, with no streetlights, 2 stores, a coffee shop and a restaurant. Everyone knows everyone). He said to me that he has never seen someone work harder than Jennifer, and she picked it all up extremely fast.

I asked Jenny about her first day. She told me that when she was putting the silverware away, she could hear the owner remark how fast she put it away. I said 'Now, you didn't try to do it like you do at home, where you just toss it in the drawer?'. She laughed and told me no. She is making minimum wage, which in CA is 8 dollars an hour. She gets her meals at 50 percent off (if she eats there) and free soda. I told her that they'd go broke providing her soda.

As soon as she gets her first paycheck, we're going to the bank and opening her very own bank account. She's got a savings, but I told her that it was off limits. She'll be working 10am to 6pm on the weekends, and will offer to work any other time they need her. One thing I'm glad about, is that she has her dad and moms work ethic.

So, as of today, she's 16 years old, and has a job! We're so proud!

No comments: